General Visual Novel Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Novels' started by daysofsummer, Apr 4, 2016.

1. daysofsummer

daysofsummer Kami-sama
    Staff Member

What are you reading? Want to share quick impressions? This thread is for this purpose.

Don't forget to mark events outside of a novel's premise with a spoiler tag.

Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~.jpg

2. Tsukelhm

Tsukelhm Otaku Extraordinaire

Ok, I'll start then.
    As of now, I'm reading Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and Chou Dengeki Stryker (the last route). Impressions? for the first one: "Wtf? how everything ties with previous events in HF??" and for the second one: "Amazing how much was added in this version, this is a great shounen type visual novel".

I would love to discuss further many other Vns I've read such as Kara no Shoujo, G-senjou no Maou, Deardrops, Kira Kira and a lot more! go and read them days. I'm still waiting my copy of Kouya, punk

3. daysofsummer

daysofsummer Kami-sama
    Staff Member

As of now I'm reading Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu. This is the first Romeo Tanaka work I read in Japanese, and although the contents themselves are slightly unexceptional so far, I'm not disappointed by the text at all. I had heard many good things about Romeo's writing abilities, and even though this is a "minor" work of his (I plan to read Cross†Channel eventually, although I'll hold back until my Japanese is better), his ability to come up with beautifully creative lines is really impressive. It helps in comedy scenes as well, which are definitely a major part of Kouya, and Romeo definitely knows how to write. To be honest, I can see myself enjoying this less if not for the text's flow. So far it's a fun, enjoyable ride, but that doesn't delve into its themes in much depth, which is a bit of a shame, as it keeps the novel in that category of "enjoyable but not exceptional" works.

Otherwise I read the ISLAND trial, and oh boy was that amazing. Goo's text flows with such ease; it's simple yet beautiful and makes you truly immersed in the world of the novel. The scientific explanations and reflections on time travel in fiction are beautifully woven into the story and dialogue, never overstaying their welcome and always using the characters' quirks so as to be as amusing as exposition dumps can be (I didn't even feel they were exposition dumps as they were so nice to read). The characters have already shown a certain level of depth, especially muh Rinne (<3), with all of them having their mysterious circumstances and worldviews, including the protagonist, who's also interesting for how he helps the whole questioning on time travel. I love how he even completed the fictional island with its own myths. The comedy was funny as well.
    Overall this trial was fantastic, and I can't wait for the end of the month to come so I can finally get my hands on the full novel. I guess I should get my hands on Himawari too, although there's a translation for that coming soon.

4. Tsukelhm

Tsukelhm Otaku Extraordinaire

So I've found myself re-reading Deardrops (and maybe Kira Kira in the future), and oh boy is it a nice tale. I missed so much the musical orientation, since there are few works that tackle this particular topic and develop it as enjoyable as this one does.

I was also wondering if days is done with Kouya and if he's thinking of reading what I told him before becoming 50yo...

5. daysofsummer

daysofsummer Kami-sama
    Staff Member

Unfortunately I haven't, haha. I did give it a bit of time, but having watched the anime and all, I can't say I found that enthralling. I may go back to it at some point, but I can't say it's very high on my priorities at all.
    I may read your recommendations after you run forty, btw ;)