Literature Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by daysofsummer, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. daysofsummer

daysofsummer YoRHa
    Staff Member

Thread to discuss books you've read/are reading. Obviously this excludes light & visual novels as well as manga! "Regular" Japanese literature works though (that includes stuff like the original Hibike! Euphonium novels). Don't forget to use the [spoiler][/spoiler] tag when referring to the events of the book, or of anything else for that matter.

2. Tsukelhm

Tsukelhm Otaku Extraordinaire

I just finished FT's manga, such a shame it ended in such a rushed and unsatisfying way. I should keep on reading Ana Karenina too, I left it midway because of life but I now how a bit of time for it (maybe). Do you fancy russian literature days?

3. daysofsummer

daysofsummer YoRHa
    Staff Member

I even know people who enjoy shounen à la Naruto who thought Fairy Tale had turned crap by the end, which is a shame; I still remember when it started out and I loved it... granted, I was a fair amount younger then.

I haven't dived into Russian literature, not yet. I wanted to read Crime and Punishment -- partly because I find it interesting that Nietzsche said something like "Dostoyevsky was the only psychologist I ever learned anything from --, but it's not yet a priority. And I hear the current translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky, which is basically the only one you can find these days (and I have it myself), isn't necessarily the best; at least it has some virulent critics. Unfortunately I imagine I'll have to come to terms with this, seeing as other translations are impossible to find anywhere; virtually every publishing house has adopted P&V, it seems. Or I could read a French translation, assuming that's any better.

Anyway, lately -- when I'm not busy reading about politics or simply unmotivated -- I find myself reading more Wilde, but I don't need to say what I think about him at this point. The aestheticism of Dorian Gray never ceases to amaze me (both in quality of writing and how it brings Wilde's philosophy to life), and I love finding myself more troubled than I'd like to admit by Gray's behavior.

When I'm not reading Wilde, I'm reading some manga. I've been juggling between Tsurezure Children -- which is every bit as cute as the anime, although I have to praise the anime for infusing the original 4-koma with even more life -- and the Etranger series. I'm not a huge Boys' Love reader, but this one isn't one bit fetishistic, and beautifully avoids most of the genre's clichés. It's a laid back, touching romance between two boys that has all the makings of a pleasant romance, except it happens to be about two boys (not that it's color blind; it does touch upon homosexuality within our society). It's probably the best BL I've ever read, and I'm glad I picked it up because I thought the cover looked great (it shouldn't go unmentioned that Kii Kanna's art is simply jaw-dropping stuff).

4. Tsukelhm

Tsukelhm Otaku Extraordinaire

I did read Crime and Punishment and I did find that I lost a lot from the translation, that being said I think it's an amazing take on a troubled young guy and his views on justice, and the ending is truly breathtaking imo. I might read Wilde, I've never given him a serious try but I think it'll take my some time because I wanna finish Nietzsche's works and some thermodynamics stuff I gotta study hard for this term. Speaking of mango, I've been a bit more open minded with that type of colorless comic-strype recently, do you know any good stuff to recommend a totally normal ningen like me?