Matoi the Sacred Slayer

Discussion in 'Completed series' started by MisaoFan, May 9, 2017.

1. MisaoFan

[​IMG]

Staff

Studio: White Fox (Steins;Gate, Re:Zero)
    Director: Masayuki Sakoi (Strawberry Panic, NEEDLESS, Celestial Method)
    Series Composition: Yousuke Kuroda (Mobile Suit Gundam 00, My Hero Academia)
    Character Design: Mai Toda (Holy Knight, Neppū Kairiku Bushiroad)
    Music: Tatsuya Katou (The Qwaser of Stigmata, Free!, Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma)
    Number of episodes: 12

Synopsis

14-year-old Matoi Sumeragi, whose mother disappeared 10 years earlier under mysterious circumstances, has only recently returned to living with her policeman father Shingo, an awkward situation for both of them. She also helps out as a shrine maiden at her best friend Yuma's family shrine. When a human possessed by a higher-dimensional entity called a Night attacks the shrine, Yuma's attempt to use an old scroll to become an Exorcist Girl inadvertently turns Matoi into one instead, through a process called a Divine Union. Matoi isn't too keen on this, since she just wants to live as an ordinary girl, not to mention that she becomes naked when the god-cloak wears off. However, increased activity by the Nights leaves her unable to ignore her divine calling. The arrival of Clarus, a dedicated Anti-Creed (i.e. Night-fighter) from the Vatican-sponsored Fatima organization, stirs things up further, as does the arrival of special agent Haruka, who is investigating the Nights for a different group. Fortunately, Matoi's appearance changes enough in Exorcist Girl form that Shingo doesn't recognize her, but how long can she keep deceiving him? And does all this have anything to do with where her mother went?

Thoughts

I actually watched it because I have nothing else do as the anime's airing reached its halfway point; I wasn't too impressed by the first few episodes but I've come to gradually enjoy it and just recently finished it. It was alright I guess, nothing too extraordinary but not terrible either. I like the way the magical girl tropes are occasionally deconstructed for fun and there's more focus to family issues not often seen in today's anime. Audiovisuals are standard looking as far it goes and story come with few twists later, ending it reasonably well overall.

#1 MisaoFan, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017